It’s important for a property owner to be able to have positive interactions with tenants. The perfect time to have these interactions is when you do your move-in walkthrough. A move-in walkthrough will offer a lot of benefits, not just for your tenant, but for you as well! Let’s look at these benefits for property owners and a few best practices for making the most of your move-in walkthrough.
Rethinking the Move-In Walkthrough
Too often, the move-in walkthrough is viewed as more of a tenant’s responsibility than something a landlord does. This kind of thinking only leads to missing out on benefits for both parties; benefits that come from allowing a move-in walkthrough. A walkthrough should happen at both move-in and move-out. The process of a move-in walkthrough is quite simple: the landlord and tenant walk around the property to check if there are maintenance issues that need to be looked at before the tenant actually moves in.
It’s quite a sensible thing for Brookline property managers to take the move-in walkthrough seriously. Here’s why that is.
- It strengthens your ties with your new tenant. Walking through your property with your tenant sends a message that you are a responsible owner that cares about the condition of your property and that you are open to the thoughts your tenant might have about the property, as well. When tenants can be assured that you will listen to their feedback, they will be more willing to report small issues. This, ultimately, can help reduce repair costs. When the opportunity presents itself, you could even review the “house rules” with your renter. These interactions can be the building blocks of a healthy and trusting relationship between you and your tenant.
- Also, it makes it easier for you to have the right amount deducted from the deposit at the end of the lease. So that the move-out time is hassle-free, you need good documentation of your property’s condition before your tenant moves in. This can help you better gauge wear and tear and other repair issues and provide ample evidence to support any deductions you make from your tenant’s security deposit.
Walkthrough Best Practices
To maximize a move-in walkthrough, make sure to know what the best practices are, such as:
- Schedule a walkthrough with your tenant. If it is possible, have a scheduled move-in walkthrough with your new tenant. This is a great time to have face-to-face interaction, making way for transparency and positive exchanges.
- Use a checklist. Give your tenant a move-in checklist and review it together. Make sure that your tenant receives a hard copy of this checklist. This is a good demonstration of your willingness to be open and transparent with your tenant by setting the expectations clearly.
- Take photos. Make sure to take pictures of any issues you find, so as to properly document them. To schedule repairs, you can use the pictures for reference. Also, these pictures are something you can refer back to for when it’s time to do a move-out walkthrough.
Move-in walkthroughs are essential and should be standard practice; however, they do take time. If your rental property isn’t anywhere near your residence, then this will mean more time allocated for the process. With help, however, from someone who knows exactly what to do in these kinds of situations, it can be hassle and stress-free. At Real Property Management Boston, we provide a full range of services that help rental property owners make the most of their investments. Call 617-522-0099 today to learn more!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.